Thursday, July 28, 2011

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives



Synopsis: Uncle Boonmee (Thanapat Saisaymar) has come to the end of his life and will be dead soon of a kidney ailment. His former sister-in-law, Jen (Jenjira Pongpa), comes from the city to visit him on his farm, bringing her relative, Tong (Sakda Kaewbuadee), to cook for them. The ghost of Uncle Boonmee’s long-dead wife Huay (Natthakarn Aphaiwonk) materializes to see him through his last days, and their lost son, Boonsong (Geerasak Kulhong), reappears at a family dinner, although it is not clear whether he has died or not; suffice to say he is now a sasquatch. Read the rest at one of my other blogs, Realm of the Uninvited.

Uncle Boonmee messed up my movie marathon because it was so hard to understand that I kept stopping it and reading stuff about it, but I'm convinced I'm smarter now for having made it through. I swear this sasquatch Boonsong guy has to be intentionally funny. The movie defies genre, but horror isn't part of it, even though there's a ghost and a hirsute brute.

No comments: