Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Legend Of Bigfoot


I love nature documentaries. I think it brings me back to the feeling of arriving to a classroom back in grade school and seeing a projector, and the exhilaration of knowing we weren't doing any work that day because, hey, movie time! I don't know why I like nature shows other than that, because I sure as hell don't like the outdoors. I am of the opinion that we evolved to the point that we invented houses and central heat and air for a good reason. Do you think sweaty people of yore would sleep outside given a choice?

I also want to believe. I'm the poster child for the "I Want To Believe" poster. Anything science, or more importantly the U.S. government, has pooh-poohed, I'm willing to buy into. So why is this movie fun only for purposes of ridicule?

For one thing, the narration kills me. The guy sounds like the narrator from A Christmas Story after huffing gold paint. Also, the guy makes a connection between Bigfoot and every damn thing he sees, reaching farther than a harried mom trying to smack kids in the backseat while driving. He makes analogies that work as well as those devised by a sophomore English major writing a paper the night before it's due. And the best part of the movie involves some major drama between a pair of squirrels after one is hit by a car. Ask anyone who has seen the movie.

We got this one as part of a 50 pack of drive-in classics. Tell me anyone actually watched this movie at the drive-in. They may have seen it, but I doubt they paid attention.

I can't really pay attention to it either, but I've still watched it twice. I like to feel like I'm eight again and watching a crap 70s documentary.

P.S. Whenever I think about Bigfoot I think of my favorite book about Bigfoot, Naked Came The Sasquatch by John Boston. It's the funniest comedic fantasy Bigfoot novel there is.

No comments: