Friday, July 29, 2011

The Shining


Resetting the counter on this one. I wonder how many times I have seen this movie. Probably more than any movie other than Dirty Dancing, or would it be Poltergeist, maybe Every Which Way But Loose...anyway, resetting to one.

I am very excited because I saw an orb in the movie. During the scene where Wendy is talking to Danny in the apartment in the Overlook but Tony won't let Danny talk, you can see it move across her face from the top right of the screen down towards the bottom left, then across her chest from the top left to the bottom right. I don't know what it could be. I don't really believe it's a ghost. I don't know why Kubrick the perfectionist would have a little light moving around in the shot. It doesn't move in a drifty way like smoke or a dust mote; it moves purposely. What could it be? Did people know about orbs yet, and Kubrick put it in so the viewer would be like "ZOMG ghosteses eleventy11!1111?" I don't know, but I am excited.

I also noticed that the bathroom in the Overlook apartment figures very prominently in every scene in the apartment. That door is always open and sometimes the bathroom on the side takes up half the shot during a conversation. Is it foreshadowing to Jack chopping down the door, etc.?

Bathrooms in general are such a huge part of the film. I don't know what bathrooms represent in literature. Waste, wasted lives, cleansing? Sound echoes in bathrooms=echoes of events that took place? Bathrooms are cold and ghosts need cooler temps to manifest? Bathrooms are private and each of these three main characters are so alone and isolated in their own way? Some movies never show a toilet, for example (and neither did the entire Brady Bunch series) but this one has two toilets, a bidet, and a row of urinals. Not to mention the bathroom in the original apartment in Boulder in which we first see Danny talk to Tony while Jack is on his interview.

Anyway, here are some dream interpretations for dreaming about a bathroom: basic needs/desires, need to cleanse, need to release negative feelings. Doesn't really fit. Wish some English professor would tell me, or the ghost of Stanley Kubrick. But only in a dream with the Kubrick ghost thing.

People think that the scene in which Nicholson chops down the bathroom door is the scariest, but it's not. The scariest thing is the woman in room 237. I still have to check behind the shower curtain in strange bathrooms sometimes for that woman.

No comments: