Monday, July 25, 2011

Ghostbusters with Commentary



Tonight I watched Ghostbusters. I watch Ghostbusters even more often than I watch Phantasm. I hope making this list does not inhibit the number of times I watch Ghostbusters.

We watched it with the commentary track on in celebration because the DVD just arrived in the mail. We have owned only VHS copies (we have at least two, just in case) since somehow un-acquiring the DVD in about 2006. I was sad to learn that William Atherton was harassed in bars because of playing Walter Peck, and that an entire busload of teenagers once yelled out "Hey Dickless!" to him while he was walking in New York.

Because of Atherton's parts in Ghostbusters and Real Genius, I, like the people harassing him, thought he actually was an asshole, and I said so to my husband. He said that he thought guys who played assholes usually were nice in real life, except for the guy who played Pickford in Dazed and Confused. I reminded him that the guy who played Niedermeyer in Animal House was supposed to have been an asshole in real life. Right then Harold Ramis brought up Animal House on the commentary! Ramis said that he thought Landis had the villains play too over-the-top. I'm sure that my mention of Animal House right before Ramis's mention is a deep and meaningful coincidence and not at all caused by the fact that I subconsciously remembered from hearing the commentary years ago that the connection would be made.

No comments: